Resilient Children, Resilient Communities
Friday, April 26
5:00 - 7:00 pm
At this free community event, you will learn about:
- Thurston County's high rates of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) including child abuse and neglect and their impact on the health and well-being of our community.
- Overcoming ACEs by building resilience - competencies and supports that enable us to respond to, withstand, and recover from adversity.
- How a Collective Impact approach will bring our community together to create deep and lasting social change on these issues.
The summit will also provide a Town Hall Forum for attendees to discuss these topics with experts and each other.
Key Note Speakers:
- Laura Porter, Director of ACE Partnerships, Department of Social and Health Services
- Jeff Cohen, Director at FSG, Global Leader in Collective Impact
For more information about Collective Impact, click here.
The event flyer can be downloaded here and the press release can be found here. Additional information about ACE's can be found here.
Listen to Laura Porter's interview with Dick Pust here.
Presentation slides can be found here:
- Pre-summit presentation
- Laura Porter presentation
- Jeff Cohen presentation (Friday)
- Jeff Cohen presentation (Saturday)
Watch videos from the Community Summit.
Here are three handouts for future reference:
- Child Abuse Quick Sheet
- Protective Factors - Tips for Parent Caregivers
- Ten Ways to Help Prevent Child Abuse
- Jeff Cohen's synopsis of Saturday's work session and next steps
Thanks to The Olympian for two great follow-up articles: